The current building, which was built with support from the community, was opened in March 1975.
The hall is managed as a charity (Scottish Charity 033525) for the benefit of the village and local communities. The management committee is elected at the hall’s annual general meeting. All residents of Craigrothie and the surrounding area aged 18 and over are eligible to vote at the meeting and to stand for election to the committee.
The operation and upkeep of the hall are financed by rental income, a monthly small lottery – The 100 Club, periodic fund-raising activities, and grants from Fife Council and local businesses. The management committee sets the rates for the hire of the hall.
The site of the hall was acquired in 1888 by Lady Gertrude Cochrane of Crawford Priory in order to allow the relocation of Craigrothie School. When the school moved back to its current location in 1907, the site was made available for a public hall for the ratepayers of Craigrothie “in all time coming”. The current building, which was built with support from the community, was opened in March 1975.
The previous hall, and former school, was affectionately known as The Iron Shanty.